The Tower Garden Experiment

Geary County School, USD475 has been provided a hydroponic Tower Garden from KSDE and Juice Plus+ !  The Tower Garden is quite nice and comes with a lot of bells and whistles including a light kit. 

What we produce in the tower will be served to the kids getting lunch in the area later this summer.  During the school year it will be served to students in the schools.  We won't be able to produce enough for every school but may do a round robin type thing.  

The Tower Garden is a hydroponic unit, meaning your plants grow without dirt.  It uses water and nutrients that you add.  The pH needs to be kept fairly neutral as well.  That is all down in the bottom part and there is a pump inside that pumps the liquid up to the top in that center tube and it runs down the insides and keeps the plants moistened.  The outer structure is called a "tomato cage".

Pictures/TG Assembled.jpg

The seedlings need to be started outside the garden.  They are planted in Rock Wool and covered with vermiculite to keep them moist.  It only took 3 days to see the first sprouts!

Pictures/Seedings 3 days.jpg

This is how they appeared one week later, quite the growth!  

Pictures/Seedlings 1 wk.jpg

The seedilings are thinned and in the tower as the lights have arrived.  Very exciting.  The pump runs for about 3 minutes at a time and waters the tower.  Then it is off for about 10 minutes or so and so on throughout the day.  The lights will run for about 14 hours as reccomended.  They are also on a timer.  It's all very slick.  The top ports are empty at the moment as I have some spinach seeds sprouting and they were not ready to go in the tower quite yet.

Pictures/TG Finalized.jpg


It's all very fun and exciting and I will be very interested to see how it all goes and exactly how much it will actually produce.  Photos I have seen on the web of this type of thing shows that they seem to do well.  Time will tell.
Keep checking back to follow the progress.  I plan to post a photo at least once a week to show the plant development.
Update 1 - 6/22/21  Here are the seedlings at 2 weeks old and growing in the Tower.  
Pictures/Seedlings Wk 2.jpg
Update 2:
Here are the seedlings at week 3.  They are showing some great growth.  The upper holes have the Spinach seedings in them now.  They are a bit behind but should grow fairly quickly now.  I had sprouted them in the refrigerator since they are more of a cold season plant.  The sprouting went well, I had at least 90% germination.
Pictures/Seedlings Wk3.jpg
Update 3:  This is how things are progressing at 4 weeks in on July 7.  I took the photo from a different angle.  You can see one of the 2 tomato plants in the bottom right.  It is looking quite healthy and growing well.  The Gormet type lettuce, near the bottom is doing the best at the moment.  The Spinach is starting to develop some actual leaves and coming along well.  It is in the top slots.  The Kale and Bibb lettuce are showing some actual recognizable leaves and are looking very healthy.
Pictures/Seedlings Wk 4.jpg
Update 4 - Week 5 July 15.  The towerplants have really grown.  The lettuce is doing the best I think.  I thought the Kale ( a couple are visible on the left) would be fuller and may get that way.  The Spinach is progressing slowly.  I think it may be due to the light.  I adjusted the lights a bit to hit the Spinach better so I will see if that helps. The tomato plants are really doing nicely and are about as tall as my ones at home in my garden.  There are no flowers on them as of yet though. 
Pictures/071521 Wk 5 .jpg 
Update 5 - July 19 and 21, 2021
The Tower looked about the same as the 15th, maybe a bit fuller but it didn't really show up in a photo.  The Tomato plants now have flowers and I am trying to polinate them.  Hopefully that works so we can end up with Cheryy Tomatoes in the not too distant future.  On Wednesday, the 21st we harvested Lettuce from the tower which is doing the best.  From this experiment I have found that the various types of lettuce do the best and Kale and Spinach do OK but struggle.  Spinach needs it cooler and more light and I am guessing the Kale may need more light.  It may do better with a lot of the lettuce taken out now and it will have better access to light.  I also moved the lights inside the cage to be closer to the plants.  I will be planting more Lettuce due to this and hope to have a bigger harvest next time.  We got 26 nice size bags out of it and sent them to one of our summer sites where I was told that they could hear the kids telling their parents excitedly that they received fresh lettuce!  That is a success!
Pictures/Outgoing Bags.jpg
Pictures/Bag Tag Close.jpg
Update 7 - 7/26/21
After the harvest the Tower was looking slightly bare but as I thought, the Kale and other lettuce with more light has begun to fill in.
Pictures/Tower Wk 6.jpg
I also took this photo of the flowers the Tomato plant is producing.  If my pollinating is succesful, we should have several clusters of tomatoes.  I am using the vibrating technique and vibrate the flowers once a day or more to simulate the bees moving them around.  Crossing my fingers that it works.
Pictures/Tomatoes Wk 6.jpg